חיפוש מתקדם
תחביר
חפש...
הספר "אוצר וולקני"
אודות
תנאי שימוש
ניהול
קהילה:
אסיף מאגר המחקר החקלאי
פותח על ידי קלירמאש פתרונות בע"מ -
Initial evaluation of willow (Salix acmophylla) irrigated with treated wastewater as a fodder crop for dairy goats
Year:
2018
Source of publication :
Small Ruminant Research
Authors :
דבש, לבנה
;
.
דוידוביץ'-רקנאטי, רחל
;
.
חלבי, נג'אח
;
.
לוינסון, אפרים
;
.
לנדאו, יאן
;
.
מוקלדה, חוסיין
;
.
קליין, יהושע
;
.
Volume :
163
Co-Authors:
Muklada, H., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Klein, J.D., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Glasser, T.A., The Ramat Hanadiv Nature Park, Zikhron Yaakov, Israel
Dvash, L., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Azaizeh, H., The Institute of Applied Research (affiliated with University of Haifa), Galilee Society, Shefa-Amr 20200, Israel, Tel-Hai College, Department of Environmental Sciences, Upper Galilee 12208, Israel
Halabi, N., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Davidovich-Rikanati, R., Institute of Plant Sciences, Newe Ya'ar Research Center, Agricultural Research Organization, Ramat Yishay, 30095, Israel
Lewinsohn, E., Institute of Plant Sciences, Newe Ya'ar Research Center, Agricultural Research Organization, Ramat Yishay, 30095, Israel
Landau, S.Y., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Facilitators :
From page:
76
To page:
83
(
Total pages:
8
)
Abstract:
This research aimed at providing a first evaluation of willow tree (Salix acmophylla) irrigated by secondarily-treated wastewater as a fodder for goats. The nutrient and mineral contents in stems and leaves of two willow types (termed "red" and "white" for their bark color) and the concentration of secondary compounds were established. The adaptation of naïve goats to willow forage and its effect on the milk composition of late lactating goats were also studied. Willow fodder was composed of 45% leaves and 55% stems, on a DM basis; the weighted content of CP, ME, NDF, Ca, and P were (on a DM basis): 13.6%, 1.8 Mcal, 44.9%, 1.1%, and 0.2%, respectively. Lead, nickel and cadmium were found below the detection threshold in willow fodder and the concentrations of metals did not exceed the recommended ranges in feed. Intake was higher for red than for white willow fodder. The adaptation rate to white willow was low (27g/d) but steady and intake was similar to that of clover hay after one week. White willow contained 1.2-fold more salicin (P<0.05), 1.5-fold more gallic acid (P<0.01) and 1.8-fold more kaempferol than red willow. The two types of willow did not differ in their concentrations of salicylic acid, hyperin, salidroside and helicon. No evidence was found that willow at the amounts consumed in this study - up to 500g/d during the adaptation period and ca. 600g/d in late lactation - could be harmful to goats, as neither of the liver enzymes increased in blood, following exposure to willow. When Baladi (Mamber) goats at their third lactation at 240days post-partum were provided with willow after grazing hours for a period of 10days, milk yield was not affected. Somatic cell counts soared from 1.3*106 to up to 2.9*106 in the control group, but did not change in the group that was fed willow. These initial results imply that willow that is irrigated with treated wastewater can serve as medium-quality forage for dairy goats. Specific compounds contained in willow fodder may be of significant value in maintaining and improving the health and welfare of dairy goats. © 2017 Elsevier B.V.
Note:
Related Files :
animal feeding
Browse
Caprine
forage
forage and feed science
goats
Health
Nutraceutical
עוד תגיות
תוכן קשור
More details
DOI :
10.1016/j.smallrumres.2017.10.013
Article number:
0
Affiliations:
Database:
סקופוס
Publication Type:
מאמר
;
.
Language:
אנגלית
Editors' remarks:
ID:
22261
Last updated date:
02/03/2022 17:27
Creation date:
16/04/2018 23:50
You may also be interested in
Scientific Publication
Initial evaluation of willow (Salix acmophylla) irrigated with treated wastewater as a fodder crop for dairy goats
163
Muklada, H., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Klein, J.D., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Glasser, T.A., The Ramat Hanadiv Nature Park, Zikhron Yaakov, Israel
Dvash, L., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Azaizeh, H., The Institute of Applied Research (affiliated with University of Haifa), Galilee Society, Shefa-Amr 20200, Israel, Tel-Hai College, Department of Environmental Sciences, Upper Galilee 12208, Israel
Halabi, N., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Davidovich-Rikanati, R., Institute of Plant Sciences, Newe Ya'ar Research Center, Agricultural Research Organization, Ramat Yishay, 30095, Israel
Lewinsohn, E., Institute of Plant Sciences, Newe Ya'ar Research Center, Agricultural Research Organization, Ramat Yishay, 30095, Israel
Landau, S.Y., Department of Natural Resources, Institute of Plant Sciences, Agricultural Research Organization, Volcani Center, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Initial evaluation of willow (Salix acmophylla) irrigated with treated wastewater as a fodder crop for dairy goats
This research aimed at providing a first evaluation of willow tree (Salix acmophylla) irrigated by secondarily-treated wastewater as a fodder for goats. The nutrient and mineral contents in stems and leaves of two willow types (termed "red" and "white" for their bark color) and the concentration of secondary compounds were established. The adaptation of naïve goats to willow forage and its effect on the milk composition of late lactating goats were also studied. Willow fodder was composed of 45% leaves and 55% stems, on a DM basis; the weighted content of CP, ME, NDF, Ca, and P were (on a DM basis): 13.6%, 1.8 Mcal, 44.9%, 1.1%, and 0.2%, respectively. Lead, nickel and cadmium were found below the detection threshold in willow fodder and the concentrations of metals did not exceed the recommended ranges in feed. Intake was higher for red than for white willow fodder. The adaptation rate to white willow was low (27g/d) but steady and intake was similar to that of clover hay after one week. White willow contained 1.2-fold more salicin (P<0.05), 1.5-fold more gallic acid (P<0.01) and 1.8-fold more kaempferol than red willow. The two types of willow did not differ in their concentrations of salicylic acid, hyperin, salidroside and helicon. No evidence was found that willow at the amounts consumed in this study - up to 500g/d during the adaptation period and ca. 600g/d in late lactation - could be harmful to goats, as neither of the liver enzymes increased in blood, following exposure to willow. When Baladi (Mamber) goats at their third lactation at 240days post-partum were provided with willow after grazing hours for a period of 10days, milk yield was not affected. Somatic cell counts soared from 1.3*106 to up to 2.9*106 in the control group, but did not change in the group that was fed willow. These initial results imply that willow that is irrigated with treated wastewater can serve as medium-quality forage for dairy goats. Specific compounds contained in willow fodder may be of significant value in maintaining and improving the health and welfare of dairy goats. © 2017 Elsevier B.V.
Scientific Publication
נגישות
menu      
You may also be interested in