נגישות
menu      
חיפוש מתקדם
תחביר
חפש...
הספר "אוצר וולקני"
אודות
תנאי שימוש
ניהול
קהילה:
אסיף מאגר המחקר החקלאי
פותח על ידי קלירמאש פתרונות בע"מ -
Rosemary-Whitefly Interaction: A Continuum of Repellency and Volatile Combinations
Year:
2019
Source of publication :
Journal of Economic Entomology
Authors :
גנאים, מוראד
;
.
דודאי, נתיב
;
.
שדה, דגנית
;
.
שכטר, אלונה
;
.
Volume :
112
Co-Authors:

Nitzan, N., Unit of Plant Pathology, Eden Research and Extension Center, Bet She'an, Israel;

Facilitators :
From page:
616
To page:
624
(
Total pages:
9
)
Abstract:

The sweet potato whitefly Bemisia tabaci Genn (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) has been recorded to differentially prefer rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) varieties in commercial fields in Israel. As chemical signaling is a significant component in plant-insect interaction, the present study examined the involvement of rosemary essential oil volatiles in this differential colonization to elucidate the rosemary-whitefly ecological interaction. Thirty-two rosemary varieties with different chemical profiles were used. The average whitefly preference was 25.1% with a significant variation of 51.4%, partitioning the sampled varieties into five preference groups, hence suggesting rosemary as a non-preferred host for the insect. All relations between preference and the major volatiles 1,8-cineole, camphor, linalool, verbenone, bornyl acetate and borneol were significantly (P ≤ 0.05) or notably (0.05 < P ≤ 0.09) negative (r < 1). Therefore, revealing that whitefly preference for rosemary is based on a continuum of repellency rather than attraction. 'Choice' bioassays with a range of the major volatile concentrations and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) volatile blends (fractions) validated this observation. Principle component analysis of the entire chemical profile of two extreme varieties, representing high and low preferences, identified that approximately 43% of the volatiles in the essential oil were directly associated with repellency. Keeping in mind the remaining 57% of the compounds, this myriad of volatiles exhibit the ecological complexity of the rosemary-whitefly eco-system, explaining that whitefly preference to rosemary is repellency based. © The Author(s) 2018. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Entomological Society of America.

Note:
Related Files :
breeding
Essential oil
integrated pest management
Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
Preference
Repellency
עוד תגיות
תוכן קשור
More details
DOI :
10.1093/jee/toy375
Article number:
0
Affiliations:
Database:
סקופוס
Publication Type:
מאמר
;
.
Language:
אנגלית
Editors' remarks:
ID:
40014
Last updated date:
02/03/2022 17:27
Creation date:
15/04/2019 08:58
You may also be interested in
Scientific Publication
Rosemary-Whitefly Interaction: A Continuum of Repellency and Volatile Combinations
112

Nitzan, N., Unit of Plant Pathology, Eden Research and Extension Center, Bet She'an, Israel;

Rosemary-Whitefly Interaction: A Continuum of Repellency and Volatile Combinations

The sweet potato whitefly Bemisia tabaci Genn (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) has been recorded to differentially prefer rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) varieties in commercial fields in Israel. As chemical signaling is a significant component in plant-insect interaction, the present study examined the involvement of rosemary essential oil volatiles in this differential colonization to elucidate the rosemary-whitefly ecological interaction. Thirty-two rosemary varieties with different chemical profiles were used. The average whitefly preference was 25.1% with a significant variation of 51.4%, partitioning the sampled varieties into five preference groups, hence suggesting rosemary as a non-preferred host for the insect. All relations between preference and the major volatiles 1,8-cineole, camphor, linalool, verbenone, bornyl acetate and borneol were significantly (P ≤ 0.05) or notably (0.05 < P ≤ 0.09) negative (r < 1). Therefore, revealing that whitefly preference for rosemary is based on a continuum of repellency rather than attraction. 'Choice' bioassays with a range of the major volatile concentrations and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) volatile blends (fractions) validated this observation. Principle component analysis of the entire chemical profile of two extreme varieties, representing high and low preferences, identified that approximately 43% of the volatiles in the essential oil were directly associated with repellency. Keeping in mind the remaining 57% of the compounds, this myriad of volatiles exhibit the ecological complexity of the rosemary-whitefly eco-system, explaining that whitefly preference to rosemary is repellency based. © The Author(s) 2018. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Entomological Society of America.

Scientific Publication
You may also be interested in