נגישות
menu      
Advanced Search
Syntax
Search...
Volcani treasures
About
Terms of use
Manage
Community:
אסיף מאגר המחקר החקלאי
Powered by ClearMash Solutions Ltd -
Soil mineralogy and slope effects on infiltration, interrill erosion, and slope factor
Year:
2004
Source of publication :
Water Resources Research
Authors :
Ben-Hur, Meni
;
.
Volume :
40
Co-Authors:
Ben-Hur, M., Inst. Soil, Water and Environ. Sci., Volcani Center, Agricultural Research Organization, Bet Dagan, Israel, Inst. Soil, Water and Environ. Sci., Volcani Center, Agricultural Research Organization, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Wakindiki, I.I.C., Department of Soil Science, Egerton University, Njoro, Kenya, Department of Soil Science, Egerton University, P.O. Box 536, Njoro, Kenya
Facilitators :
From page:
To page:
(
Total pages:
1
)
Abstract:
Interactions between the effects of soil mineralogy and of slope gradient on seal formation, infiltration rate (IR), runoff, and soil loss were evaluated, and the slope factor (Sf) functions for various soils with differing mineralogy were examined. Three different soils, on slopes of 9, 15, 20, and 25%, were subjected to 80 mm of simulated rainfall. The final IR was ≥20.5 mm h-1 in a clayey kaolinitic soil and ≤15 mm h-1 in smectitic soils. The total runoff, as a percentage of rainfall, ranged from 24 to 18%, 65 to 43%, and 50 to 35% from the kaolinitic, clayey smectitic, and sandy loam smectitic soils, respectively. The total soil loss ranged from 0.32 to 0.45 and from 1.14 to 3.93 kg m-2 for the kaolinitic and smectitic soils, respectively. In all three soils, increasing the slope gradient increased the detachment of coarse particles (>0.1 mm) more sharply than that of small particles (<0.1 mm), especially in the smectitic soils. Combining these results with previous findings for six soils indicated that soils could be divided into two groups according to their Sf values: (1) soils that contained smectite and were therefore dispersive and (2) soils that did not contain smectite and were therefore stable. For the former soils the regression Sf = 0.47exp(7.7 sin θ) defined the Sf values significantly, whereas for the latter group a linear regression Sf = 0.81 + 1.77 (sin θ) was required. It was suggested that the difference in the Sf functions was mainly due to seal formation enhancement by the smectite.
Note:
Related Files :
dispersive soil
Erosion
rain
regression analysis
runoff
Simulated rainfall
slope angle
soil erosion
Soils
Show More
Related Content
More details
DOI :
Article number:
Affiliations:
Database:
Scopus
Publication Type:
article
;
.
Language:
English
Editors' remarks:
ID:
19479
Last updated date:
02/03/2022 17:27
Creation date:
16/04/2018 23:29
Scientific Publication
Soil mineralogy and slope effects on infiltration, interrill erosion, and slope factor
40
Ben-Hur, M., Inst. Soil, Water and Environ. Sci., Volcani Center, Agricultural Research Organization, Bet Dagan, Israel, Inst. Soil, Water and Environ. Sci., Volcani Center, Agricultural Research Organization, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Wakindiki, I.I.C., Department of Soil Science, Egerton University, Njoro, Kenya, Department of Soil Science, Egerton University, P.O. Box 536, Njoro, Kenya
Soil mineralogy and slope effects on infiltration, interrill erosion, and slope factor
Interactions between the effects of soil mineralogy and of slope gradient on seal formation, infiltration rate (IR), runoff, and soil loss were evaluated, and the slope factor (Sf) functions for various soils with differing mineralogy were examined. Three different soils, on slopes of 9, 15, 20, and 25%, were subjected to 80 mm of simulated rainfall. The final IR was ≥20.5 mm h-1 in a clayey kaolinitic soil and ≤15 mm h-1 in smectitic soils. The total runoff, as a percentage of rainfall, ranged from 24 to 18%, 65 to 43%, and 50 to 35% from the kaolinitic, clayey smectitic, and sandy loam smectitic soils, respectively. The total soil loss ranged from 0.32 to 0.45 and from 1.14 to 3.93 kg m-2 for the kaolinitic and smectitic soils, respectively. In all three soils, increasing the slope gradient increased the detachment of coarse particles (>0.1 mm) more sharply than that of small particles (<0.1 mm), especially in the smectitic soils. Combining these results with previous findings for six soils indicated that soils could be divided into two groups according to their Sf values: (1) soils that contained smectite and were therefore dispersive and (2) soils that did not contain smectite and were therefore stable. For the former soils the regression Sf = 0.47exp(7.7 sin θ) defined the Sf values significantly, whereas for the latter group a linear regression Sf = 0.81 + 1.77 (sin θ) was required. It was suggested that the difference in the Sf functions was mainly due to seal formation enhancement by the smectite.
Scientific Publication
You may also be interested in