נגישות
menu      
Advanced Search
Syntax
Search...
Volcani treasures
About
Terms of use
Manage
Community:
אסיף מאגר המחקר החקלאי
Powered by ClearMash Solutions Ltd -
Characterization of Fusarium population associated with wilt of jojoba in Israel
Year:
2021
Source of publication :
Plant Pathology
Authors :
Erlich, Orly
;
.
Freeman, Stanley
;
.
Hazanovsky, Marina
;
.
Maymon, Marcel
;
.
Sharma, Gunjan
;
.
Tsror, Leah
;
.
Volume :
Co-Authors:

Marcel Maymon  

Gunjan Sharma  

Marina Hazanovsky  

Orly Erlich  

Shir Pessach  

Stanley Freeman 

Leah Tsror (Lahkim)

Facilitators :
From page:
0
To page:
0
(
Total pages:
1
)
Abstract:

Fusarium wilt, caused by Fusarium oxysporum, is a major disease of jojoba, causing serious economic losses. This study was aimed at characterizing the Fusarium populations associated with jojoba in Israel. Fifty Fusarium isolates used in this study included 23 isolates from the 1990s (“past”) and 27 recently isolated (“recent”). All the isolates were characterized by arbitrarily primed (ap)‐PCR and 16 representatives were additionally delineated using multilocus (tef1rpb1rpb2) phylogeny and evaluated for their pathogenic potential. Consequently, 88% of the isolates were identified and characterized to the Foxysporum species complex. The remaining 12% grouped within the FfujikuroiFsolani, and Fredolens species complexes. Variations in the infection rate (16.7%–100%), disease symptoms (0.08–1.25, on a scale of 0–3), and fungal colonization index (0.67–2.17, on a scale of 0–4) were observed within the tested isolates, with no significant differences between the past and recent isolates. The representative isolates were assigned to 11 groups based on ap‐PCR. Pathogenicity tests showed that isolates from Groups II, IV, and V were the most aggressive, whereas isolates from Groups III, VIII, and IX were the least aggressive. Among the tested isolates, Foxysporum sensu lato was the most aggressive, followed by Fproliferatum, while Fnygamai was the least aggressive. This study demonstrates the complexity and genetic diversity of Fusarium wilt on jojoba in Israel, indicating possible multiple introductions of infected germplasm into the country.

Note:
Related Files :
Identification
molecular phylogeny
pathogenicity
Simmondsia chinensis
Vegetative compatibility grouping (VCG)
Show More
Related Content
More details
DOI :
10.1111/ppa.13345
Article number:
0
Affiliations:
Database:
Scopus
Publication Type:
article
;
.
Language:
English
Editors' remarks:
ID:
53417
Last updated date:
02/03/2022 17:27
Creation date:
10/02/2021 22:07
Scientific Publication
Characterization of Fusarium population associated with wilt of jojoba in Israel

Marcel Maymon  

Gunjan Sharma  

Marina Hazanovsky  

Orly Erlich  

Shir Pessach  

Stanley Freeman 

Leah Tsror (Lahkim)

Characterization of Fusarium population associated with wilt of jojoba in Israel

Fusarium wilt, caused by Fusarium oxysporum, is a major disease of jojoba, causing serious economic losses. This study was aimed at characterizing the Fusarium populations associated with jojoba in Israel. Fifty Fusarium isolates used in this study included 23 isolates from the 1990s (“past”) and 27 recently isolated (“recent”). All the isolates were characterized by arbitrarily primed (ap)‐PCR and 16 representatives were additionally delineated using multilocus (tef1rpb1rpb2) phylogeny and evaluated for their pathogenic potential. Consequently, 88% of the isolates were identified and characterized to the Foxysporum species complex. The remaining 12% grouped within the FfujikuroiFsolani, and Fredolens species complexes. Variations in the infection rate (16.7%–100%), disease symptoms (0.08–1.25, on a scale of 0–3), and fungal colonization index (0.67–2.17, on a scale of 0–4) were observed within the tested isolates, with no significant differences between the past and recent isolates. The representative isolates were assigned to 11 groups based on ap‐PCR. Pathogenicity tests showed that isolates from Groups II, IV, and V were the most aggressive, whereas isolates from Groups III, VIII, and IX were the least aggressive. Among the tested isolates, Foxysporum sensu lato was the most aggressive, followed by Fproliferatum, while Fnygamai was the least aggressive. This study demonstrates the complexity and genetic diversity of Fusarium wilt on jojoba in Israel, indicating possible multiple introductions of infected germplasm into the country.

Scientific Publication
You may also be interested in